WASHINGTON, D.C. / RankWire.AI / – U.S. President Donald Trump has delayed new 50% tariffs on selected Canadian imports for three days while trade negotiations continue. The duties had been scheduled to take effect on August 19. Trump said the two countries had reached an understanding that still required final documentation. Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney said negotiators had made substantial progress. He also said significant work remained before the governments could complete an agreement.

The delay shifts the immediate tariff deadline to Saturday, August 22. Washington announced the additional duties in July under Section 338 of the Tariff Act of 1930. The measures target specific Canadian products and would apply even when those goods qualify for preferential treatment under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement. The White House tied the action to Canadian policies affecting several U.S. industries. Those disputes include dairy products, alcoholic beverages and motor vehicles sold across the border.
The planned tariffs cover a range of Canadian goods, including wine, cement and sporting products. U.S. authorities excluded energy, potash and some other categories from the additional Section 338 duties. Products already subject to separate Section 232 tariffs also remain outside the new levy. Those existing measures include duties affecting Canadian steel, aluminum and automobiles. The wider trade discussions therefore extend beyond the tariff package that Trump paused this week.
Canada and US continue trade negotiations
Negotiators from Canada and the United States continued discussions in Washington after the tariff delay. The talks address several areas of the bilateral trading relationship, including market access and existing sectoral duties. U.S. officials have described progress toward an agreement framework, but neither government has released a completed final text. Carney has continued to characterize the negotiations as unfinished. The Canadian government also remains engaged on U.S. tariffs that already affect major Canadian exports.
Canada has maintained countermeasures on some U.S. steel, aluminum and automotive products during the trade dispute. Officials from both countries have also discussed agricultural market access and restrictions affecting U.S. alcoholic beverage sales in Canadian provinces. These issues sit alongside the new Section 338 tariffs and existing U.S. sectoral duties. The three-day pause applies only to the additional tariffs scheduled for August 19 and does not remove the other trade measures already in force.
USMCA treatment remains a key trade issue
The USMCA continues to provide tariff-free access for a large share of trade between the two countries. Canada says about 85% of its exports to the U.S. market currently enter without tariffs under the agreement. The new Section 338 duties differ from many earlier measures because they cover designated goods regardless of USMCA eligibility. Canada has challenged several U.S. trade actions while continuing negotiations with the Trump administration over the broader commercial relationship.
As of August 20, neither government had published a final bilateral agreement resolving the latest tariff dispute. The three-day delay keeps the new 50% duties from taking effect before the August 22 deadline. Trump has said the countries reached an understanding, while Canada continues to stress that negotiations are not complete. The pause therefore leaves the announced tariffs on hold while officials finish work on outstanding trade terms and formal documents governing the arrangement.
